New Laser Set-ups
Get authorized to use a laser device?
All educational, laboratory and research Laser Users, working with open beam lasers or embedded / enclosed laser systems with maximum power of 5mW or greater, must complete UCLA EH&S Laser Safety Fundamentals Training.
- You can self register for laser safety fundamentals at worksafe.ucla.edu.
- On the Job Training — provided by PI/supervisor or designee & must be documented.
- Review and sign the applicable laser standard operating procedure (SOP). Ensure the PI knows that you are authorized.
Purchase a laser device?
Laser procurement approval, UCLA EH&S LPS program covers all individual lasers and / or laser systems within the Westwood campus and the UCLA managed off-site locations. EH&S LPS is required to maintain an accurate campus laser inventory record and the safety requirements for all laser devices on campus. It is UCLA’s EH&S Policy that all laser device purchasing information should be channeled through EH&S’s LPS office. This helps in the registering of new equipment and ensures that appropriate safety precautions are in effect as equipment arrives on campus.
EH&S LASER SAFETY PROCUREMENT APPROVAL IS NOT REQUIRED FOR:
- Repair and replacement parts for existing UCLA registered laser equipment.
- Service agreement renewal contract for existing equipment.
Register my new laser?
All open beam lasers or embedded / enclosed laser systems with maximum power of 5mW or greater are required to be inventory and registered.
To register a laser device please submit a Laser Equipment Registration Form to the Laser Safety Officer (LSO) at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are unsure of your status, please contact Matt Damron, campus LSO, at email@example.com or (310) 825-0352.
Important: Whenever there are changes to the laser inventory status, the LSP Program must be notified.
Please submit a Laser Inventory Change of Status Form to the LSP Program at firstname.lastname@example.org