Self Drop-Off Areas for Medical Waste
To obtain security access to UCLA Medical Waste Accumulation sites through EH&S, users must have current training for Bloodborne Pathogens Training (required annually) and Medical Waste Management Training (required every 3 years) on WorkSafe and the following:
|Requirements for Locations with Physical Key Access||Requirements for Locations with Bruin Card Access|
Terasaki (TLSB) loading dock
To obtain Bruin card access, you must
MRL loading dock
Note: If you need support with regular key code emails, you can reach out to SOMSafety@mednet.ucla.edu.
Medical Waste Site Pickup Schedule
Waste is collected from all accumulation sites at UCLA at least once per week. Waste is usually collected from sites with a morning pickup time before 11:00am. If sites are overflowing or you have noticed a missed pickup contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to report the problem. Contact your department or building coordinator for more information on waste accumulation sites that are not listed below.
|Medical Waste site||Buildings Served||Pickup Schedule|
|BSRB loading dock||BSRB, Life Sciences||Mornings M - F|
|CHS B-loading dock||CHS, Factor, JSEI, DSERC Semel, Reed||Mornings and evenings M - F|
|Engineering IV loading dock||ENG IV, ENG V, ENG VI, Boelter Hall||Mornings T, Th|
|MRL loading dock||GONDA, MRL, NRB||Mornings M, W, F|
|Rehabilitation Center bunker||Rehab||Mornings F|
|Terasaki loading dock||TLSB||Mornings M - F|
- California Compliant Medical Waste Bags
- Liquid Medical Waste
- Non-Hazardous Recombinant DNA Waste
- Sharps Medical Waste
- Solid Waste
Waste containers may change from barrels to SafeShield Containers. For proper disposal using SafeShield Containers:
- When 3/4 full or within 7 days, securely tie medical waste bag with overhand knot or gooseneck tie. Pretreat, if BSL2+.
- Decontaminate transport container and transport to a Medical Waste Accumulation Site.
- Dispose bag in SafeShield Containers. Ensure all closure and/or locking mechanisms are engaged. Do not put loose sharps in these containers. Do not let bags stick out of containers.