Skip to Main Content

UCLA CNSI Magnify EH&S Hazardous Chemical Waste Services

All that you need to know to manage your hazardous chemical waste as a CNSI Magnify Start-up Lab.

As a independent business that generates hazardous chemical waste you will need to apply for a Permanent EPA ID Number to be a generator.

What is an EPA ID Number?
An EPA ID number is issued by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) to dispose of RCRA hazardous waste. It's purpose is to track waste from origin to final disposal referred to as " cradle to grave".

What is RCRA?
RCRA referred to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act which gives the EPA the authority to control hazardous waste from the "cradle-to-grave." 

The EPA defines hazardous waste in 40 CFR, Parts 260-279.

Full list of RCRA Chemicals 
There are two types of EPA ID# which one you apply for depends on how much RCRA waste you generate per month. You would need most likely need to apply for a State EPA ID#.
-State EPA ID#- Less than 100kg (RCRA) and less than 1kg (RCRA that is acutely hazardous) and any amount of non-RCRA hazardous waste per month.
-Federal EPA ID#- Greater than 100kg (RCRA) and 1kg or more (RCRA that is acutely hazardous).
How to apply?

Permanent State ID Numbers Application ProcessPermanent Federal ID Numbers Application Process

Once you have an EPA# you will be able to set up your account with a Hazardous Waste Disposal Vendor.

GAIACA Waste Revitalization
PO BOX 188
Gonzales, CA 93926-0188


Disposal services for chemical, medical, pharmaceutical, and controlled substances waste.

Jonathan Lee
Garrett Rodewald

As a generator on UCLA campus there are requirements that must be met pursuant to not only state and federal regulations but to UCLA policy .

Generators responsibilities included but are not limited to the following:

  • Hazardous Waste Determination 
  • Accumulation/Storage- please refer to the UCLA Chemical Hygiene Plan 
  • Labeling/Marking- use our WASTe program to generate your tags
  • Emergency Procedures/Contingency Plans
  • Training- Online courses by DTSC
  • Shipments
  • Biennial Report

Generator should become familiar with the following to understand their responsibilities:

Getting set-up in our systems.

Your company information will be enter into our systems as " CNSI Magnify- [Company Name]".


Provide us with the following information in your email:
  - email subject: CNSI Magnify Set-up profiles
  - provide company name, UCLA responsible PI, employee roster, and locations (rooms)

Once your lab has been set up in RSS (Risk & Safety Solutions) you will be able to log in using your UCLA log on (Duo Authentication). In RSS you will be able to access WASTe, Chemical Inventory, and much more. 

Why do you need to use WASTe to tag your materials?

  • EH&S needs to keep a full list of all the hazardous materials on campus.
  • This helps us prepare our responders when there is a spill or incident
  • WASTe tags meet all the regulatory needs as a generator 
  • Waste vendors can use the information on the tag to create your collection profiles

How to use WASTe?

Chemical and Laboratory Safety 

Visits are conducted annually to ensure that your lab is in compliance and safe.

Visits are coordinated and scheduled by Anne Vitoreli (Lab Manager for Magnify & Technology Centers)

How to prepare for a visit?

Lab Inspection Checklist

EH&S point of contact: Lizette Enriquez

Chem Safety Resources and Services

General inquiry with our team