The CSUA is only granted for bona fide needs to handle, use, or access controlled substances and for research purposes.
The Controlled Substances Program Officer has this authority over all researchers to help assure maintenance of the institutional research registrations for UCLA.
Researchers must obtain a CSUA prior to the use, purchase or transport of controlled substances at the UCLA campus.
Do not wait until you are planning to start your experiment to request your CSUA, if you are preparing a protocol or have an approved protocol submit your CSUA application. Indicate all controlled substances you potential can use as part of your CSUA application submission.
CSUA Submission Requirements:
All items below must be completed before submission to DEA for final approval. The DEA review and approval can take up to 6-8 weeks getting all the required items to us as quickly as possible is important.
- CSUA Application- for the primary PI listed on the protocols
- Principal Investigator's CV or Bio Sketch
- Personnel Screening Data Sheets for each authorized user that has access to the storage location
- Additional supportive documents will be requested by the CSP
- Storage Location - varies depending on schedule, volume stored and other security provisions
The CSP will assign a CSUA ID number. The CSUA ID number is the unique identifier that is used on all documents and communications.
For more information and how to submit an update visit our information page:
Biennial Inventory and Annual Renewal