Skip to Main Content

Individual DEA Registrations for Researchers

  • How to Apply for an Individual DEA Registration for Researchers Schedule (II-V)
  • 1.  Complete Online Form 225 for Researcher (II-V)    Guide to Complete Form 225

    2.  Register with us and so we can assist you with this process. Register with us and so we can assist you with this process. Registration Form 

    3. Complete documents under section "What You Need to Prepare for Submission to DEA."

  • UCLA Addresses Listed on DEA Registrants 
  • UCLA Campus Zip Code is: 90095

    There are two addresses requested on a DEA Registration:

    # 1 Storage Location Address-  this is the address where your material will be stored and where it will be delivered. This should be your courier address not street address. What do I mean? Couriers deliver to loading docks.

    For example you are located in Semel, Room A1-123A.

    Your delivery address would be:

    650 Charles E Young Drive, South
    Semel, A1-123A
    Los Angeles, CA 90095 

    # 2 Mail to Address- this is your UCLA mail to address. All postal mail is delivered to MDDS they then distribute the mail to all of campus using a UCLA Box# or mail code.

    The box number is 95 plus the first four digits of the campus mail code. So if the campus mail code is 123456, the box number is 951234.

    For more information: about UCLA mail service visit MDDS at: 
  • Schedule I Researchers 
  • For schedule I researchers visit 
  • What Documents you Need to Prepare for Submission to DEA
  • A DEA Diversion Investigator will reach out to you and request the following items listed below. In order to streamline the process we have created templates that capture the information you will need to submit. 

    If you have questions, need help, or would like us to review your documents prior to your inspection please email

    If you would like us to prepare your documents for you complete the following form: Prepare my documents

    Individual Registration Template Folder 
    Document Purpose
    1. Summary Overview of lab information
    2. Storage Location Summary

    Information associated with you storage location.

    3. General Security Provisions These are the broad security provisions for campus and building
    4. Power of Attorney  This is a required document if you have other individuals order Schedule 2 material
    5. Biennial Inventory  This is an inventory log for the inventory on hand that must be completed initially and every two years
    6. Usage Logs These are the log you will use to record the use of the material
    7. Personnel Screening Data Sheets Complete for all individuals who have access to the material
    8. Protocols for example IACUC of BUA worked print the following sections of you RATS protocol: (basic information, funding sources, scientific aims, and experiment section that show the use of the material, IACUC approval letter)
    9. Protocol for In-Vitro Work if you do not have IACUC or BUA Template (In-Vitro Work Authorization) has been created to outline your experiment 
    10. PI CV  PI’s most current curriculum vitae (short version) or biosketch
  • Storage Locations 
  • Storage of Controlled Substances and Accessibility
  • Regulatory Responsibilities Become Familiar with 21 CFR Part 1300-END
  • Registrants are responsible for understanding and being in compliance with associated regulations.

    Visit our documents and resources section "DEA Regulations" page
  • Ordering Controlled Substances Material 
  • Individual registrants are responsible for setting up accounts and procuring their material. Vendors will request compliance documents to setup accounts. You will only be able to procurer the schedules you were approved for as listed on your registration.

    Ordering Controlled Substances Schedule 1 & 2:

    To place an order for schedule 1 and 2 registrants must submit Form 222 to vendors. Only registrants and their personnel who have power of attorney can sign these forms.

    When placing an order a copy is retained with the registrant and the original is sent to the supplier. Once the item is received the quantity and date is listed on the copy. Supplier will reject Form 222 if the form looks modified or edited this includes corrections. If an error is made VOID the Form 222 and complete a new one. 

    Forms must be requested directly from the DEA.

                      - Request you Form 222 from the DEA

                      - DEA Form 222 Q & A

    For vendor information visit:


    Suppliers will only ship material to the address listed on your registration via courier (i.e. FedEx, UPS), ensure that you track your package.  
  • Usage Logs 
  • Individual registrants are responsible for record maintenance and retention. Per UC Records Retention Schedule

    "Retain records for 3 years after the end of the fiscal year in which the specific controlled substances are disposed."

    Required Inventory Records:
    Initial and Biennial Inventory Form  For your initial inventory use this form to take and inventory of all material on hand on the date that you start, this can be zero. 

    After the initial inventory is taken, the registrant shall take a new inventory of all stocks of controlled substances on hand at least every two years. The biennial inventory may be taken on any date which is within two years of the previous biennial inventory date. A usage log is not a substitute for a biennial inventory. 
    Usage Logs (Stock) Form Usage logs are used to document what material was dispensed from you stock solution. This can be for direct administration to a subject, experiment, or for dilution.

    To avoid discrepancies document the amount that was visibly taken from the container not the calculated amount. 
    Dilution Logs Dilution logs are only necessary if you are storing the solution for longer than a day. If the dilution is used the same day you do not need to create a log.
  • Waste 
  • Individual registrants are responsible for the disposal of their controlled substances for more information visit:
  • Services and Fees provided by CSP
  • The Controlled Substance Program offers the following services for individual registrants who manage their own registration. This is to assist with some administrative burden and help ensure that you are meeting compliance. 

    Services and Fee Page
  • Records and Retention
  • Record maintenance and retention falls under the responsibility of the Individual Registrant. It is important that you keep up to date your personnel and materials records. Certain updates will need to be submitted to the DEA for approval such as changes to registration schedules, addition of new material you will be using, increases in annual usage amounts, or storage location/address changes. To update the DEA email the Diversion Investigator that approved your registration.

    Important records to take note of:
    - DEA for 222 and Power of attorney (for schedule 1 and 2 material only)
    - acquisition and final disposition records
    - usage logs including dilution logs
    - Biennial Inventory 
    - list of personnel approved to access material
    - any reported diversion or excessive loss reports

    If you have an individual registration it is your responsibility to have these documents ready for review in the event of a DEA inspection. 

    For more information on inspections visit our information page: 

    Inspections, Investigations, and Audits

    Records must be retained in accordance with federal regulation and with UC Record Retention Schedule Policy
    Retention Period: Official Record should be retain for 3 years after the end of the fiscal year in which the records are created or 2 years from final disposition of material. Never retain records longer than required.

    Records may include but are not limited to:
    • power of attorney records;
    • transfer and chain-of-custody records;
    • acquisition, use, and disposition records;
    • usage logs and inventory records;
    • auditing, monitoring and inspection records; and
    • investigation records.
  • Diversion and Spills/loss of material
  • At time there can be material loss or spills for information on what is diversion, a significant loss and how to report it visit our information page:

    Diversion, Excessive Loss, Spills or Theft